Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Lead By Example

My heart breaks for those that do not know the healing power and love of the Lord Jesus Christ. Part of this desire to reach the lost world for Christ is why I love being a teacher. If I can have an impact on even one child who then leads by example for his/her peers, then I will have accomplished my goal (or at least one of the many).
Today one of my students asked why we get Friday off in addition to the week long spring break coming up. I explained to him that Friday was 'Good Friday' to which he responded by telling me he didn't know what that meant or why it was significant. I went on to explain why we celebrate Good Friday which in turn allowed me to share a bit about Easter with him. That's the neat thing about where I work...I may work in a public school, but as long as my students are asking the questions, I can answer them with the truth that I know about Jesus Christ.

I explained the meaning of Good Friday and Easter to this particular student. When I finished he told me he wasn't fond of Easter and that just broke my heart. Intrigued, I asked why he felt that way. The child went on to tell me that one Easter he walked into the living room to find his mom and sister watching Chukie (a scary movie about a doll), and since then whenever he thinks of Easter he sees scary images of the doll in his mind. Therefore, he does not like Easter.

I was disgusted at this point. And my mind began to spin...
1. I know the sister is not old enough to be watching that movie as it is rated R.
2. How sad that such a sacred, special day has been ruined for this boy because of an image he saw on tv or a scene he saw in a movie.
3. This child must not know Jesus Christ and his love and mercy. If he only knew what Christ had done for him, those images would be overwritten with the death of our Saviour on the cross.

As class wrapped up I didn't get to share much more with this particular student, but he's been on my mind numerous times throughout the day. As a teacher, I pray for my students. This little conversation today made it all the more important for me that praying for my students no longer an option but a priority.

As adults we have a major influence on the young children around us. Kids are always watching for our actions and reactions, and they will often follow in our footsteps. It is important that we adults set the best possible example so that we do not lead these dear children astray. Each day, I witness firsthand how children are affected by the choices of the adults surrounding them.

Ironically a friend posted this video on his facebook page today. It fits perfectly with the topic at hand. Take a moment to watch and see how closely the children in the video follow the example set by the adult they are with.

No comments:

Post a Comment