Friday, August 14, 2009

I Have a Lot to Learn

Well, I did indeed make it Lima, Peru about 11:40 Wednesday evening. After about an hour drive to the school where I am staying, I finally got to bed about 1:30. It was a very long day, but I am so thankful to God that I made it safely (despite an hour or more delay in Houston due to a sudden storm).

Yesterday was a good day. I was able to sleep in a bit until around 8:30 when I was awakened by school bells and children laughing and screaming. I guess that's one of the privileges of living right above the school. I was able to unpack my things and then went downtown with the principal and admistrator (similar to a superintendent) for lunch. I had a small orientation in the afternoon and then went out for dinner and watched a movie in the evening.

I was awakened about 3 a.m this morning by small tremors. Apparently there was a 4.0 magnitude earthquake about 100 miles away.

Today has been a long day. I started official training today. This school does things very different from any school I've ever seen, and "supervisors" (teachers) are required to complete coursework that lasts about one week. I completed 2 whole course books (PACEs) today and have a third for homework this weekend. I'll explain more about how the "learning center" (classroom) works once I figure it out more myself.

I began a list of things I have yet to learn today. I hope you enjoy the things I've accumulated thus far:
  • Shower water is only hot when turned on very low...heat is more necessary than water pressure, so it takes longer to shower in the morning.
  • The grocery stores have aisle numbers that the workers know, but the customers have to look very hard to find them.
  • The buildings are not sound-proof, so you can hear everything going on around you. Literally.
  • Milk tastes better in the United States.
  • Electricity is not guaranteed (or maybe I learned this at home Tuesday evening) The power went out about 3 times today during school. Good thing they build things with lots of windows.
  • My spanish is very rusty. The kids get talking and lose me because they are talking so fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment