Monday, August 10, 2009

Control

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a very organized and planned out person. I make plans for my life 5 years down the road, and I live by lists and schedules. In my opinion this has always been a good characteristic to have during school with multiple classes and assignments, but now that that season of life has passed, sometimes I wish I were more spontaneous.

Last semester was a growing experience for me in that way, and I see today why last semester was so crucial to where I'm at now. Being a substitute teacher, you cannot always plan weeks in advance, and very rarely do you know the material you will be teaching before you walk in the door on any given morning. It wasn't always easy, but it taught me to relax and take life one day at a time.

As you know, I'm leaving for Peru in 2 days. A lot of you have asked what will happen after these 4 1/2 months. Will I sign a 2 year contract and return to Peru in mid-February or will I return to the U.S. permanently after this short-term experience? I honestly can't say I know that answer. I have no plans for my life beyond December 19th when the school year ends. Of course, I have things I would like to do in life, but I have no timeline for when those things will happen. I'm not making plans with rigorous timelines anymore; I am now able to leave life open and ask God to show me the way. I'm on this journey with God, and I'm trusting him to lead me and care for me wherever life takes me.



On another note...I'm leaving in 2 days! I'm mostly packed, and I'm praying really hard that my suitcases really are under 50 lbs. Our scales here at home say they are, but they also aren't always consistent. I would really appreciate it if you would pray for me and my family as I say good-bye and begin this next step. Please also pray for safety and easy entrance and exit through security and customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment