Sunday, April 24, 2011

Christ is Risen

I can honestly say I haven't been much of a Christian music junkie since junior high or even elementary school. Of course, I listen to it off and on, and during college I found a few bands in which I took particular interest, but to turn on the radio and listen to a Christian radio station...that just isn't me. Or maybe I should say wasn't me. Something changed in my life this year. God began to call me out on areas of my life that needed work. One of those things being the music I listen to day in and day out.

For the month of February I challenged myself to only listen to Christian music (when I was in charge of the radio dial or music selection). Though I fought many temptations to turn to a secular song selection during those 28 days, I was amazed at my transformed attitude and view of life throughout each day. Rather than humming pointless tunes, and often times less than wholesome lyrics, my mind was filled each day with promises and reminders of how great God is. February came and went, and I decided to continue this challenge through March adding in one day a week when I could choose any music I wanted.

As Easter approached, I was amazed at how many songs spoke of the sacrifice Christ suffered for our atonement. I have fallen in love with these songs and the reminder they give. I've cried to a few of them, and I've shared lyrics with struggling friends. I've even used them as witnessing tools to explain the gift God freely gave us. Here's a few of my favorites that played on repeat today.

Glorious Day (Casting Crowns)



Christ is Risen (Matt Maher)



I Will Rise (Chris Tomlin)



Christ is risen from the dead. It is a glorious day, and because of his sacrifice we should rise and proclaim HIS name among the nations.

HE LIVES and HE LOVES!! 

Now April is nearly over, and I can honestly say, 95% of the time, I choose Christian music on my own without giving it a second thought.

1 comment:

  1. This is awesome Jessica! I am still amazed at the difference good Christian music makes in my life. I will admit that the Christian radio stations could use variety, but that is what CDs are for right? Awesome to read about your growth on here. Keep up the good work! You encourage me in my walk with God.

    ReplyDelete